Wednesday, November 5, 2014

All of Creation is a Song of Praise to God

Japanese Garden, Bloedel Reserve

 The fire has its flame and praises God.
  The wind blows the flame and praises God.
In the voice we hear the word which praises God.
  And the word, when heard, praises God.
So all of creation is a song of praise to God. 
- St. Hildegard of Bingen
  
Strolling each week at the Bloedel Reserve is continuing to inspire and bring solace and healing to me, even in places where I didn't anticipate healing. One of those areas is ART.
The shapes and colors of the leaves, and the changes in the landscape from week to week keep me in deep, yet gentle observation. It is like Christmas morning each time I start out walking the paths. I move in different directions on different days - responding intuitively to the mood and the map. I find that I observe as an artist, and even if I think "I won't take photos today," I can't NOT take them. I am seeing - and composing with my eye - as an artist, and it's joyful.
It so happens that one of my favorite art bloggers, Collage Diva, started a new project using mandalas. She calls it #100MandalasChallenge, and the idea is to create 100 Mandalas in 100 days.
I'm not sure I'll complete it in that amount of time - and there is no pressure to do so - but I am loving drawing mandalas using the Zentangle concept of Zendalas, inspired by all that I see at the Bloedel Reserve.
Here are a few of my drawings...
It's relaxing and fun to draw in this way. It has opened me up and relieved some of the stress I felt around doing artwork. It is play, not work, and it comes naturally, rather than being forced.
I'm deeply thankful for this season of strolling, healing and renewed creative energy. It is a time of quiet joy and praise to our Creator.
This struck me as a "faerie's-eye view" of the Bloedel residence
 No detail is too small for the Creator's creativity. I love that fact.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The pictures are unreal! And for someone who is "uptight" about art -- my goodness, Karen! You're so talented! I can't imagine you doing anything, really without that amazing sense of grace and equanimity.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wow-so much beauty!!! I can see why you love it there…..it does inspire creativity in the soul.
I love your drawings so much Karen. (I had to look up Mandelas!!!) Lolo loves doing zentangle; she says it's very therapeutic. Have a beautiful day.
XOXO