Tuesday, June 28, 2011

From East Coast Karen

This morning's devotional said: "The Wisdom of Solomon tells us that 'love is stronger than death' (Song of Songs 8:6)." This poem states it in a different way:
"Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room.
I am I and you are you,
Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
Call me by my old familiar name,
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
Put no difference in your tone,
wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow,
laugh as we always laughed
at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Pray smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word
that it always was.
Let it be spoken without effort,
without the trace of a shadow in it.
Life means all that it ever meant,
it is the same as it ever was.
There is unbroken continuity,
why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you
somewhere very near
just around the corner.
All is well." - Christina Georgina Rossetti 1830 - 1894
My friend, "Karen East," of From Paradise to Plan B , posted the poem above for one of her friends. It is so beautiful, and speaks so deeply to me of what I believe is the intention (or voice) of our beloved ones who have gone before us, that I had to share it here. Thank you & much love to you, Karen!
On the bow of DA BOATA, staff & campers catch french fries thrown from friends and fans who are at Red Robin, on the pier.
Today is "National Cancer Sucks Day," which (of course) coincides with the Camp Goodtimes cruise, also known as "DA BOATA." David and I will be helping on board, assisting with arts, crafts and wherever an extra pair of hands is needed by the campers, all of whom are cancer patients, former cancer patients, and their siblings. It's going to be a day of fun, silliness, friendship and JOY. There will be music, dancing, singing, a buffet lunch, french-fry throwing & catching, and all kinds of general craziness.

Cancer sucks...but it doesn't have to spoil everyone's fun, and Camp Goodtimes is a place to see that fact in action. As the song says, "Celebrate good times - come on!"

5 comments:

Ellen said...

My daughter read this poem at her Grandfather's memorial service. It will always hold a special memory for me.

Elizabeth said...

I had never heard that Rosetti poem and am so struck by its "modernity." I imagine death, loss, grief to be rather timeless, though. I think of you, walking around your life and hearing Katie in your head, seeing her in your memory, loving her.

I am glad that all those who visit Camp Goodtimes have your family -- they are truly blessed.

Karen said...

I am back home from Alaska, and missing the vast beauty of that place. Sketchy internet service, though, so glad to reconnect with my bloggy friends. I am so glad this poem touched you much in the same way it touched me. I suppose we can never hear enough about the afterlife and how it may be for those we love. This one is particularly comforting.
Camp Goodtimes Rocks! Love it so much.
Love you, friend.

A.Smith said...

There is so much beauty to be discovered in sharing what we and others find beautiful!

I hope in the near future I may be able to come up the weekend you are setting camp and bring goodies for everyone to enjoy it. Beads are like stars and beading stars is something I enjoy sharing with others.

Much love to you, I hope to see you toward the end of July. Actually we both do.

Gberger said...

Allegra, I would love that - let's chat about dates that work! xoxoxo

Love to all of you commenters & readers!