Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mireille Was Here

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of spending the entire day with a dear friend. Mireille was my Nana's massage therapist for many years. She was born on a farm in Switzerland; the farm is still in her family, as it has been for 6 generations. Mireille has worked all over the world in her career as a nurse and massage therapist. She lived in the Puget Sound area for nearly 35 years, and then returned to Switzerland to be with her older siblings, their children and grandchildren. She has a beautiful spirit, and her being radiates healing energy.
I picked her up at the ferry terminal, and we took a scenic drive, and then a walk. We went to Poulsbo and sat on Katie's bench. We ate lunch at Paella Bar, toured Front Street in Poulsbo, stopping in at Sluy's Bakery to buy some treats, at Bad Blanche to browse, and waving to Suzanne through the window of Liberty Bay Books. Just as a few raindrops began to fall, we came home to relax and visit with David. Gregg arrived from work, and my parents from their house, and we all had dinner together (green salad, roasted potatoes, grilled wild salmon, with ice cream for dessert). Then we took Mireille back to the ferry so she could return to her hosts in Seattle.

This visit was a wonderful gift. I hope she will do it again, and that we will one day visit Mireille at her home in Switzerland!
Did I mention that she is 84 years old? Amazing!

6 comments:

A.Smith said...

With a name like Mireille how can she not be sweet?

The best masseuse I ever had was a masseur. And he was blind. His wife was a therapy nurse here and after a bad fall that nearly killed me I was sent to the clinic for hydrotherapy and then massages.

Never had a better one. Your Grandmamá was a very lucky woman to have found her and how lovely that she came to visit. Next I believe should be your turn.

Pam said...

She sounds like a really special lady. And what a whirlwind of a day! I'm glad she is able to be with you and your family for this visit. Sweet time. : )

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, I remember her from a past post! What a wonderful gift of her friendship and en entire day with her!!!
I think you should start planning that trip to Switzerland!!
xoxox

Laurie Brandriet Keller said...

Mireille is like my Mom, no doubt, and I'm glad you had a great day with her. As for the long board, they are very cool. Where is the pic of you on it? So here you are ... living life and making memories. Knowing you and knowing where you have been and returned from is one of my greatest joys. I believe that our painful experiences of loss have helped us to live every day with a greater appreciation for everything ... family, friends, and how a mailbox looks, perfectly tucked in with lots of flowers and color. xoxo.

Elizabeth said...

She looks so Swiss! And that IS amazing that she's eighty-four -- I thought twenty years younger. I love the sound of the places that you took Mireille to -- what a wonderful way to spend a day.

Unknown said...

She's beautiful!