Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Goodbye, August - Hello, September

Although it's always difficult to say "goodbye" to the summer months, I can honestly bid adieu to August without a problem. There were so many emotional ups and downs that it was exhausting. Hello, September!

We did have a good deal of fun last month, though, and I'll highlight that here, with gratitude. We were blessed with a beautiful vacation, a party to celebrate an important family milestone, visits from friends from out of town, time spent savoring the beauty of nature (particularly at the beach) and the beginning of some fun projects.

Gregg and I went on a date last weekend, starting with a walk, and discovered a mural which we didn't know existed on Bainbridge Island. It is a timeline of events in the history of the island. Here is an excerpt from it:
This image shows the traditional (native) names of areas of the island.
Prior to 1700, Bainbridge Island was the home of the Suquamish tribe. One part of the mural states that "hundreds of middens found along Bainbridge Island's shoreline indicate that humans have lived here for at least 5,000 years." No wonder archaeology sounded like a fun subject to study in college - we are surrounded by human history right here!

You might recall that I've posted in the past about the glass trading beads we have found in the area since I was a little girl. My favorite part of the mural told about them:
I am grateful to have a small collection of these remaining - I lost most of the ones I found while growing up.
It was a fun and educational stop on our walk. We moved on to eat a light supper at the pub, and afterward, walked outside to see the light of the sunset reflected in the sky above the masts in the marina, silhouetted against the backdrop of Seattle across the Sound. The last roses of summer are in the foreground.
Another August activity: we repaired a sign that is precious, given to us by friends 5 years ago:
It says, "The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God."
And we saw some signs that made us laugh:
If you found an iguana, how would you describe it? How many lost iguanas do you think there are in Western Washington?
Loved this one - seen in Tofino, B.C.
Moving into September, we took a gorgeous beach walk and saw another humorous sign:
I think it originally said, you may "encounter" nude sunbathers
We took a walk in this "secret garden" park, one to which we used to love to take our children:
You can see the size of those leaves in perspective with the bridge and pathway next to them - enormous!
And finally, inspired by Meg of the "whatever" blog, I started work on a thrift-shop table which has been sitting in our garage for years. Meg is a devoted thrift-shopper and spray-painter, among her MANY other talents, and she inspired me to make this battered old thing into the "beach style" table I have dreamed about.
Step 1:  remember to take a "before" photo (I forgot)
Step 2:  spray 'till your heart's content
One can of aqua paint, an old table and old shower curtain...
Doesn't this table have beautiful lines? I love its form.
Step 3:  lay out beach glass in the way you want it to look on the table.
Step 4:  put the glass in place permanently with mortar
Step 5:  to come:  grout!

We also worked on re-finishing our picnic tables, and discussed re-finishing the 5 chairs which we picked up for $30 (all 5 for $30.00!) at a garage sale a couple of weeks ago...I love the creative energy in working on crafts, especially when they beautify the home.

Bye-bye, August...welcome, September & "Indian summer!"

3 comments:

Karen said...

Oooo, I love that table. Like you I find homegrown housewares the best kind of decor...but I lack the talent or initiative! I am so impressed. Now don't put the beach glass on the chairs. That won't feel good.

Like you, I am so grateful for September. I need a change of seasons for a lot of reasons.

Keep on keeping on, my friend.
Love you, Karen East

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love all the signs but please don't count me in on counting nude sunbathers. usually the nude ones are the ones who shouldn't be nude! :)
I adore that table Karen. IT is going to be so lovely. The lines, the colors, the sea glass???!!!! LOVE.
So, is it going inside or outside???
You inspire me to hit thrift stores. I always want to, but then I lose my creative juices when I get in there.
Happy September!
xoxo

pysanki.blogspot.com said...

The walks and the history sound wonderful. I totally appreciate the lines on that table too, what a great find. it looks like it's coming along nicely.