Thursday, February 16, 2012

My Bad

I have just done something so obviously awful that I have to write about it here.

I received a beautiful meditation today from Pema Chodron, the Buddhist teacher. I receive them via email now and then. I signed up for them because I love her writings, and today's topic just hit the nail on the head with me and one of my friends, so I forwarded it to my friend, along with a very sarcastic comment, to the effect of "Oh, bleep her and all of her Buddhist bleep! I'm just kidding. But what about the timing of all of these reminders? It seems as if Someone is listening to our prayers..."

What  I meant was that the message was so timely that it felt like an answer to prayer.
But I accidentally sent it back to Pema Chodron, instead of to my friend.

I followed this up with my most sincere apologies, explanation of the context, admiration of Pema Chodron and her work...but I think I just stepped into a pile of crap.

Sarcasm is funny, but it can get you into trouble.

I guess I won't be asking Ms. Chodron to endorse my book.

12 comments:

Robin said...

Karen, LOLOLOL.

I love Pema Chodron's writing, but let me tell you, sarcasm has gotten me in huge trouble 2X lately. This is SO something I could have done.

Perhaps she will endorse your book AND write something on the mindfulness of sarcasm, which some of us could surely use!

Elizabeth said...

OMG! I imagine Pema Chodron will ADORE this bloop. It's so very Buddhist, isn't it? Sort of koan-like as well.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh Karen...you are so cute and you are SO human!!! We've all done things like this, and hopefully Pema has as well!!!
Sarcasm is the only language I am fluent in.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Just the kind of thing I would do. Having a cringe on your behalf! Irene x

Everything Coastal said...

bad girl - can just imagine your humiliation at realizing what you had done! You are just too cute.

Would you like to write a guest blog post for me? All about your book....

Caron

ChiTown Girl said...

Oh my Lord, this just made my jaw drop, and then I couldn't help it - I actually laughed out loud!!

Like Suz said, you're only human! I hope Pema Chedron gets a giggle out of it :)

Unknown said...

Wild!

Clippy Mat said...

Speaking as someone who has emailed the wrong person on more than one occasion I can relate. Buddhist bleep is all knowing and all forgiving isn't it?
You'll be fine.
:-))

A.Smith said...

My only comment, or question is: has she answered? :)

Gberger said...

So far, no answer. I hope she has forgiven me! ;)

AnnDeO said...

I know you probably feel a bit crazy for sending it back... but I love it. I always seem to put my big bunion-ed foot in my mouth at the wrong moments. Congratulations on the book. You did it! I am in awe. And my copy is on it's way.

pysanki.blogspot.com said...

Don't you just hate it when that happens. ;)