Saturday, June 11, 2011

What's the Antidote?

What's the antidote to grief?
I don't know...but this week, it's Keith Richards' autobiography, "Life," and a bit of his fabulous guitar-playing. What a fascinating character.

Just the opening bars are enough to make me smile, and "start me up."
If you're still feeling dark, there is always that eerie opening of "Gimme Shelter:"


I often forget that I heard them in concert in Seattle on their 1975 tour. I wasn't a fan, then; I was invited by a friend, and I love live music, so I went. We were young - in high school, sophomores or juniors - and it was a bit of a rough crowd, for the time. I remember seeing an aspirin tin, stashed in the fanny-crack of the guy in line in front of us, as we waited to get into the Coliseum. That was a first, for clean-living, little old me.

But the real eye-opener that evening was when a man-hole cover opened up on stage, and out floated a long, pink balloon. Mick Jagger rode that thing and worked it while he sang. I was astonished enough to think, "Is that...? No, it can't be!" But it was. And it got them into some trouble, apparently.

What a crazy bunch of iconoclastic dudes. It's incredible that they are still alive and making music, after all they've been through.
Thanks for lifting my spirits this week, Keith.

"Sing praise to the LORD with the harp,
with the harp and melodious song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn
sing joyfully before the King, the LORD."
- Psalm 98

5 comments:

Karen said...

I saw them in concert in Honolulu for my 48th bday. They rocked it, but they were much tamer than you experienced. Middle-aged mature and clean and sober by then! I love that you read Keith's book. That's the next one on my list and I will compare notes with you when I am done. Glad it cheered you and hope it does the same for me.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I had heard that Keiths book was quite good...not thing type of literature I would expect from you my friend. Just when I think I know you...you surprise me!!!

Gimme Shelter is my fave song of theirs...so fabulous.
We saw them in concert early in our dating career in 1986. And then we saw them again about 6 years ago??? I loved them then, and I love them now.
Of course, seeing Keiths skin, well that should be a poster for NOT smoking, NOT drinking and USING liberal amounts of sunscreen. Right?
Great post. I hope you are feeling better...xoxoxoxo

Jim said...

Karen, you have diverse tastes indeed! Who would have thought that Keith Richards could be your antidote?
They were hear in Halifax a couple of years ago........blew the place apart....in a good way. Didn't see them but could almost hear them.
Nice that you got your feelings lifted up.

Gberger said...

His book is so raw, so funny, so tender...and it is a real cultural history of the rock era. I was too young and protected to have any part of that scene, but the book sheds great light on what was happening then & there, from the inside out.

I had no idea that he was such a truly great musician (writer!), so knowledgable and such a sweet man. Some of the stories make my hair stand on end, but they are fascinating, all the same. I recommend it! But the lifestyle? Noooooo.

AnnDeO said...

Sometimes something irreverent and raw is just the right antidote - I smiled just hearing your explanation of the pink balloon. Reminds me of when I was in London at 19 at the Hippodrome - I saw a man in only a sock (precariously placed). Funny memories.