Monday, March 1, 2010

St. Baldrick's & Lexus

I have written about St. Baldrick's, the cancer research-support organization before on this blog. Their method of fundraising is to encourage people to SHAVE THEIR HEADS and get people to sponsor them. That's an act of courage and solidarity with cancer patients, who often lose their hair as a side effect of their chemotherapy treatments. 
I wrote about Lexus (who is my fellow blogger ChiTown Girl's son) here,  shaving his head again this year in Katie's honor.
If you would like to learn more and visit his fundraising page, click here, and if you are so moved, pledge to support his efforts. And to those of you who have already donated, THANK YOU!

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I sponsored him and got the sweetest thank-you email from him. Thanks for giving me the honor of doing this small thing.

A.Smith said...

He is a real sweetheart, sent a thank you note the same day we made the donation and I don't think I have ever received other than form letters, a bread and butter note before from anyone personally after a donation. He is a keeper with a heart of gold.

ChiTown Girl said...

Thank you, Karen!! That's $5 I'm more than happy to part with. ;-)

Karen said...

Awesome!! What a friend!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so proud of Lexus too.
I donated in memory of your Katie. She is in my thoughts all the time and I am so glad he is doing this in her name!!!
xoxoxox
Suz

Unknown said...

Karen, thank you for sharing your story. Your strength and perseverance throughout Katie's journey is an inspiration to the entire St. Baldrick’s community. You and your family, as well as Lexus, hold a special place in our hearts.

Angie Muresan said...

This is so beautiful, Karen. I will go check out that site. I have a very dear friend who is a breast cancer survivor. As a professional photographer she takes photos of families who have children battling cancer and makes them a beautiful album at no cost to them. She had just come back from Chicago where she photographed a seventeen year old girl having a head shaving party with her closest girlfriends.

Unknown said...

Nothing like getting humbled by a child
As I so often do.

A young friend is undergoing radiation treatments for her recurrent brain cancer . She had surgery , again, just before Christmas. She is a new bride and a gentle brave inspiring soul. At this point her hair hasn't fallen out, but it is something she fears so so much.

Cindy said...

My daughter did this last summer... she is 22 and lives in Seattle.

Her hair was her "strength" and she has learned so much about herself and others as she has experienced this last year of "growing out."

What a beautiful blog you have!