Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stitch 'n' Bitch

Today, a group of friends joined me at our house for an informal "sewing bee," or what we liked to call a "stitch 'n bitch," after the knitting books of the same name.
We had a potluck brunch: salads, fruit, veggies and dip, baguette and cheese, pastries, bread pudding with a fabulous hard sauce, mimosas, coffee, great conversation - and we made lots of quilts!

We started with a brief overview of how to make a quilt like Katie's,
and quickly moved on to sewing.
More friends arrived later, and we continued passing on the pattern and sharing the fun.
All in all, 5 quilts were finished, 7 were pinned and one is part-way pinned. We also cut 17 pieces of batting from a full roll, and they are ready to use.

This is a fun way to combine visiting with a great meal, and making quilts for Seattle Children's Hospital patients. I highly recommend it!
Thank you, Stitch 'n' Bitches!

12 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

I plan to crash one of these "Stitch 'n' Bitch" sessions! It sounds like a blast. :)

Elizabeth said...

That looks like so much fun. In college, a group of girls and I called ourselves The Knit Wits. I wish that the Knit Wits could get together and knit some blankets for the cause!

Angie Muresan said...

Wow, how fun! I've always wanted to quilt in the company of other women. Sadly I cannot even sew in a straight line.

Busy Bee Suz said...

How fun....and you got so much accomplished in the midst of a good time.
I want to come...but I can't sew. I have a feeling I would get some good lessons from this group!

Karen said...

The best kind of girlfriend time--great food, great talk, great cause. Brilliant!

Pam said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time... and made some quilts too! ; )

Anonymous said...

What a great time! And the quilts look so bright and colorful!

A.Smith said...

What a wonderful group of women under one roof! One can sense the joy of sharing and the joy of giving just by looking at those smiling faces. What a blessing to be able to incorporate that much love into those blankets. You are all angels, really. The kind that walk among us.

Gberger said...

To my non-sewing friends and readers: I could barely sew, when we started this. My friend, Rita, used to be a seamstress, and she is a brilliant quilter. She helped to create the pattern we use (and helped me finish Katie's original quilt). And after sewing them over and over again, I can do it!
If I can do it, anyone can.

If you want me to give you the pattern, leave your email address here and I will email it to you. Also, knit, sew or no-sew fleece blankets are welcome. Just so you know. =)

Mary Potts said...

What a beautiful way to spend a day Karen - friends, food and a meaningful cause! I enjoy sewing too. It's been a while and I need to pull my machine out again.

There's nothing like the comfort a soft blanket can bring. I sleep with one of Erin's every night.

Peace,
Mary

Jason, as himself said...

I love that you do all of this and have such a good time, AND it is for a very meaningful cause.

cristie said...

i LOVE women. xox