Monday, October 1, 2007

Happy Birthday, Gregg!


Today is Gregg's 52nd birthday. Now, Gregg is a guy who likes no fuss, no gifts, etc. He always says, "I have everything I need." That's a nice attitude, but it's difficult to shop for someone like him. I did manage to give him a party for his 50th, but he's a very low-key guy.

This has been a year when no one in the family has really felt like celebrating much, since Katie was so very ill. In addition to Katie's illness, Auntie Bernice got sick and passed away; Grandma G was ill; Uncle Howard passed away. My dad turned 80, my parents had their 55th wedding anniversary, all of the holidays that we normally enjoy came and went, with our family at Ronald McDonald House or at Children's Hospital for most of them. No one felt much like partying, because Katie was too sick to share in the celebrations. The big exception was when Andrea and Mike got married, on August 2nd. Katie and David were in the wedding party, and EVERYONE was in a mood to celebrate that day!

Having said all of that, I am going to give Gregg a little gift here. It is a photo of him in the town of Goult, in the south of France, 10 years ago. He & I took a trip with my parents and had a wonderful vacation in France. This photo is on the terrace of the tiny house that we rented. He is sitting, barefoot, by a plate of cheese and bread, with a glass of wine waiting to be enjoyed. The expression on his face says it all. Life is good...and it will feel that way again. So here is to life, and love, and to Gregg!

1 comment:

pysanki.blogspot.com said...

My Dad is the EXACT same way. And yes, shopping for gifts is nearly impossible! Happy Birthday Gregg!

A couple of Christmases ago mandi wrote a paper for school that had to be about a person who was giving without expectations. She wrote the paper on my Dad. He was near tears when she presented this A+ paper to him for Christmas.

Are those Grapes that Gregg is siting under? What a great photo.

Karla